The little organ that beats inside our body keeps us going. The day it stops, we will be gone. So, it is very important to keep this little organ healthy, happy and content. After all, a heart is the most important part of our body. It is also the place where we keep our near and dear ones. So, it is our responsibility to treat it as much as we can.
Today, due to the hectic lifestyle, our health suffers a lot. We pay no attention towards our health. Lack of physical activities, long working hours, stress, work pressure, competition, et al, takes a toll on our health. The food habits too, have grown so- so unhealthy. We just pick some junk food from any food stall and spend our day munching on fried snacks. Further, the adulteration has exacerbated the condition.
So, here we have some treat for your heart. In this piece of article, you will find a heart- healthy food recipes that are also finger- licking delicious. From breakfast to dinner, serve yourself the tastiest and the healthiest food. Here is a list of heart-healthy foods:
Start your day with a dose of taste and health.
- Oven Roasted Mushrooms on Toast
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Four large flat mushrooms with stems trimmed
One tbs olive oil
One lemon, rind finely grated, juiced
One- fourth cup chopped flat leaf parsley
Two slices grain bread toasted
Two tbs chopped chives
Two tsp olive grove classic spread
1. Preheat the oven at 220°C fan forced. Place the flat mushrooms with stem-side up, in a greased roasting pan. Mix two tbs lemon juice with oil in a jug and whisk it to combine. Now drizzle this mix over the mushrooms and also season it with ground pepper.
2. Roast the mushrooms for 10 to 15 mins or roast until they are tender. Add the lemon rind to the herbs in a bowl.
3. Spread1 tsp classic spread on every slice of toast and keep it onto the serving plate. Top the slice with two mushrooms. Sprinkle lemon rind and herb mix. Season it with ground pepper. Serve.
- Banana And Strawberry Breakfast Smoothie
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Half small banana
Half cup chopped fresh strawberries
One- fourth cup reduced fat natural yoghurt
Three- fourth cup reduced fat milk
One tsp wheat germ
One tbs honey
One- fourth cup crushed ice
Place banana and strawberries into a blender with the yoghurt, milk, wheat germ, honey and ice. Blend all the ingredients until smooth. Pour in a chilled glass and relish.
- Couscous And Vegetable Stuffed Capsicums
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
One- third cup couscous
Half cup boiling salt-reduced vegetable stock
Two small red capsicums
One cup frozen peas and corn, cooked
One tomato chopped
Grounded black pepper
One spring onion, finely chopped
Half cup cheese
Four basil leaves chopped
1. Mix the boiling stock via couscous. Set aside for at least five minutes.
2. Cut red capsicums into half lengthwise. Remove the discard and seeds. Place the capsicum onto a tray lined by baking paper or an ovenproof dish.
3. Fluff up couscous using a fork. Mix in corn and peas, tomato, basil leaves, spring onion, and cheese. Mix them well. Take the spoonful of this mix and place it into the capsicum halves and bake it in a preheated oven at 180°C for about twenty-five minutes.
4. Serve hot.
- Crispy Chipotle Bean Burritos
Cooking time: 8 minutes
Two tbs canola oil
Half cup thin green onion
Three cloves garlic
One 15 pinto beans drained and rinsed
One cup frozen kernel corn
One cup brown rice cooked
One cup chopped, seeded tomato
¾ cup cheese
1 tbs chili peppers
Twelve sheets frozen phyllo dough ( 9×14 rectangle) ( buttery flavour)
One third cup light sour cream
- First of all, you are required to preheat the oven at a temperature of 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan using medium heat. The half cup green onions and the garlic needs to be added into the saucepan, cook for 3 mins
- . You can stir the saucepan occasionally. Remove the saucepan from heat. Add the corn, rice, beans, half a cup of tomatoes, cheese and chile peppers to stir it further. Set the whole concoction aside.
- Now, unroll the prepared phyllo dough.
- Remove a sheet of the dough and later placing it on a flat surface. At the same time, you are required to cover the remaining piece of dough with a plastic wrap or foil in order to prevent it from drying.
- Coat the sheet lightly using a cooking spray. Now you are required to lay another sheet of the dough on the very top of the first sheet, followed by coating it with the cooking spray.
- Repeat the process with two or more sheets to form it into a stack of 4 sheets. Repeat the same process to form two additional stacks. Cut each stack in half in order to make six separate stacks in total. (9×7 inches each)
- Now, this is the time you assemble your burritos.
- In order to assemble the burritos, you are required to spoon the bean mixture (2/3 cup) on the one long side of each stack.
- Around 1 1/2 inches of space must be left around at each end of the stack. The short sides of the stacks are now to be folded up over the filling.
- Now, you need to roll up this phyllo around the filling. You can start this process from the longer side. Now you are required to place the burritos on a baking sheet. Coat the tops of these burritos using a cooking spray.
4. Lastly, you are required to bake this preparation for a period of 20 minutes or until the time the tops of this preparation become golden-brown in colour. Serve this preparation with chopped tomatoes as well as the sour cream.
- Strawberry And Apple Crumble
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Three- fourth cup plain flour
One- fourth cup brown sugar
One- fourth tsp baking powder
Sixty grams margarine spread
Two tsp ground cinnamon
Eight hundred grams can apples
Two hundred and fifty grams strawberries hulled and halved
Half cup rolled oats
Two tbs sesame seeds
Low-fat Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C fan-forced. Grease 1.5-litre ovenproof dish with a cooking spray.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar in a bowl. Mix heaped teaspoons of the spread into a flour mixture and with your fingertips, mix spread into the flour. Rub it together until come together. Add oats and sesame seeds. Continue to rub together until the mixture is well combined.
3. Spoon apples into a dish. Add strawberries to it. Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the fruit to completely cover it and bake it for half an hour or till the crumble is golden. Serve with a dollop of yoghurt.
- Strawberry muffins
Cooking time: 18-20 minutes
Two and a half cups self-raising flour, sifted
One cup skims milk
Half cup brown sugar
Thirty grams Tick approved margarine, melted
One egg lightly whisked
Two tbs flaked almonds
Two hundred fifty grams strawberries, washed, hulled and diced
Low-fat Greek-style yoghurt or reduced fat ricotta, to serve (optional)
One tsp icing sugar, to serve (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C fan-forced. Line up twelve X one- third cup muffin pans with paper cases.
2. Mix the flour and sugar in a bowl. Add milk, egg and margarine to it and then add the strawberries.
3. Spoon the prepared mix into cases. Sprinkle some almonds in the mix. Bake it for 18-20 minutes or until it is totally cooked. To check insert skewer into the centre and if it comes out clean, the dish is cooked. Dust the strawberry muffins with icing sugar. Serve warm.